Thursday, May 9, 2013

It's a post about a book

This post is going to be really stupid, especially if you are unfamiliar with the books. Sorry. I've been reading these books, The Green Rider series. They are good, but they are unsettling. Let me tell you why. I have been thinking about this since last summer, and it just bugs me more and more day by day, and I have no one to bounce it off, so off into the interwebs it goes. Spoilers, for sure.

The book is a fantasy, with magic and what not, and kings and fair maidens and horses and important messages. And fighting. And near-rapes. (I don't think I'll let my kids read the books 'til they're married.) What is unsettling is how much the author, Kristen Britain, pulls from New Age stuff like the nine dimensions, entities, astral projections, magic circles, clairvoyance, telepathy, Reiki, avatars, near-death experiences and basically a lot of that crystal mumbo jumbo, and infuses it into her medieval world. The whole D'yer wall was a big giveaway to some of the lower dimensions. I'm not too surprised that she pulled a (successful) stunt like that. Maybe I'm even jealous I didn't think of it first.

I think the thing that is bugging me the most is the love story and where it is heading. Curse my puritanical upbringing! (And the love story is always what sucks you in!!) There is, of course, an impasse with the two characters, during the which her father's love-life is examined and found less-than-par. It doesn't sit well with the protagonist that her dad is visiting houses of ill-repute, and she doesn't seem to have made peace with it yet, but you know she will, and it is opening the doors to a less-than-savory relationship with the man she loves in future books. So I don't appreciate that the author is already setting up a way that the main character is going to justify her indiscretion already. It is ever-so-subtle, but I think that undoubtedly it will happen. Pooh pooh pooh. Just move on and find someone new, girl.

These books, however, have still weaseled their way into my brain, and the author is so slow in getting the next ones out. That is also infuriating. I remember searching for any updates on book 5, and there was nothing. But tonight, there were updates. And I read them. And now I want to read the rest of the series that has yet to be written. So now I'm thinking about it AAALLLL over again and how it is about to be ruined. And it's sad that I'm getting all these New Age references, I barely know about it and don't actively seek the knowledge out, just picked up tidbits here and there, I can tell that the author obviously dabbles in the New Age field. Not my cup of tea, but it makes for some very interesting reading. The way she finished the fourth book was so darn interesting to me, the threads of fate in a masquerade mask, and I will say no more. That actually made me think more of string theory. More physics references, please! I have too many mixed emotions about this. I want to read it but I don't want to read it. Can you feel me?

That's all I got.

Except for ... Include More Masquerade Scenes, please!, Ms. Britain, if you are listening out there.

No comments: