Friday, February 4, 2011

Sarah gave me a thermometer for Christmas

And now I know that my living room temperature is at 64 deg! Even though our thermostat is set for 72 deg! Yes, it is cold in here! (What a waste of freakin' money!) And yes, I have put up that weather protection sheet stuff (last May!) that is that weird plastic wrap stuff. And it actually made a difference, no more draftiness, but still, COLD!, so that it was probably more like 59 deg the last two winters! I put some of it in our non-functioning fireplace. It doesn't feel as drafty, but still, 64 degs. That is why my feet are ice blocks in this apartment.

So what have I done to fix that? I can't sleep if my feet are frozen, I will literally watch the clock all night getting angry that I can't doze off.

So I made heating pads! They are super-cheap! Just get a bunch of white rice (buying it in bulk can really save you $$$) and get some of your husband's thick work-out sneaker socks, fill it with rice (but not too full, in case you want it as a neck-heating pad to soothe sore muscles), and sew that baby closed, (machine is easiest, but by hand if no machine). I did another seam as a backup in case one ruptures, so I hopefully won't have a big rice mess to clean up.

It was fast, easy, and I can sleep better when I put one of those in the bottom of my bed. Oh yes, to warm it, you throw it in the microwave, about 2 mins for one sock, 3 minutes for two. Ah, HEAVEN! So toasty, and you can put it in your bed 5 minutes before you go to sleep, and it's just a pocket of warm goodness. Happy times. Cheap and practical and good. Great investment of my time.

1 comment:

Robyn said...

Ah, Danelle, I had almost given up on you becoming a regular blogger! Ha! but I see that you are back at it (well I'll believe you if you make another post soon) and I'm happy! That little lady is quite a cute one.

As for being tested in the fiery furnace, I want to share with you what has been my mantra since I became pregnant with my first child. It's "This too shall pass"

Sometimes I want to write it on my forehead so I will see it whenever I look in the mirror! You are a good mama and we ALL have our moments. Love and happy thoughts!